6mmwarfare.com - View topic - A Guide to posting well : Written by Sir Biscuit
Last Shout - Posted by: Shadow - Sunday, 28 September 2014 19:24
StF8 done and gone. What a successful comeback of a legendary (crappy) OP. Thanks to everyone that came and helped make this one of the best.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:45 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 A Guide to posting well : Written by Sir Biscuit 
Colonel
Colonel

Post A Guide to posting well : Written by Sir Biscuit
(::Lurch:: "I have stolen this posting guide from another forum, I hope it has some merit here. Add or edit as you see fit mr admin, just please always make sure to credit the original author.")

Post starts here...

Hey, thought I’d write a little guide on how to make your posts respectable. This is not hard, but a lot of people just don’t seem to get it. I got so sick of this I decided to write a guide to help with some of the most common problems I see. (In no particular order)

Thank you for everything, everyone. This guide is only made possible by the support of the people of this forum.

A Guide to Posting Well

1.) Misspellings: These are a huge problem for all of us, a misspelled word is something that can obliterate someone’s entire train of thought. We are used to seeing the same words over and over again, so any misspelling leads to a stumble. If you have trouble spelling, type it in Microsoft Word. It’s not that hard, just type it, then copy, and paste.

2.) Abbreviating things that don’t need to be: Never ever EVER shorten your words. If you are so lame as to type u instead of you, just go play counterstrike and leave these forums alone. You can actually see in this sentence how the “u” stands out. It’s like a magnet, diverting attention away from the actual idea. I still can’t believe anyone is so lazy that they are physically incapable of typing those two extra letters, both of which are within two keys of the “u”. This goes for all abbreviated words, including “r”(are) “2”(too/to) and the horrifying “ttly”(totally). Abbreviated words make you sound like a prepubescent girl on AIM. Miserable.

3.) Grammar: Try to reach your mind all the way back to kindergarten. Remember how when you were there, they made you do that crazy thing where you put punctuation in your sentences? Remember how some things were capitalized? Well, guess what. (I know this is breaking news for some of you.) You’re still supposed to be doing that. Yes, your LA teacher still expects you to use tiresome things like periods, commas, quotation marks, and (I can’t believe I even have to tell you this) question marks. Posts like this make me puke:

hey I was wondering where I could get something to tell me about the inside of my aeg cause my friend was all you need to get that upgraded and I was like ok I should look and I cant find it so help bye

I cannot understand how anyone can even post like this. It took me a full five minutes to write and it’s still better then some of the ones that I’ve seen. Maybe I’m just too used to talking like a person. Figure it out.

4.) Spacing: Open up a book. Notice something? Yes, the author seems to have divided his text in to reasonably sized chunks of text according to idea! Astounding! Out in the land of the literate we call them paragraphs. If you post in one huge chunk, no one is going to be able to keep track of what you’re trying to say, and no one will read it. On a forum like this one, no one paragraph should be longer then seven sentences. (Normal sized sentences, not the run-on monsters I see). There may be some exceptions, but not in anything you post.

You should also note that in the forums indentation is hard to see, and so it is commonplace to divide paragraphs by an empty line like the one above.

5.) Multi-posting: This is one that will really piss people off. It’s a common mistake often made by newbies, but not often repeated. The worst form of this is when a person comes on to the forum and uses it as a chatroom, typing each line rapidly and then posting it before starting the next. Another, more common and less noticeable form is when someone post an idea, and then immediately posts again with another idea. This is wrong. Use separate paragraphs (see number 4) instead, that’s why we invented them.

It seems like most people multi-post in a sad attempt to raise their post count. I find it sad that this means something to people. You should be remembered by what you contribute, not by how many posts you have. Unfortunately, many of the people who log on here just see, “Oh, he has 2,125 posts, he must know just about everything.” This is simply not correct. A lot of these posts may be little more then them saying LOL to something they find amusing. (By the way, never use LOL, it makes you sound like a middle schooler. See number 2.) Don’t trust someone based on post count.

6.) The Moderators are not AirSoft Gods: The moderators do not know everything about AirSoft. They are simply ordinary people given the task of looking after the rabble of the forums, making sure the unwieldy mobs follow the rules. They may know more about AirSoft than your ordinary poster, (a side effect to looking through threads all day.) but their opinion is not the outstanding, super truth most people think. Do not post asking simply for their opinions, they may not know. Most likely they just won’t reply.

On the flip side, however, they realize that most people highly regard their opinions, so you can trust most things a moderator has to say. You can usually rely on them to check their sources.

As a final note, I am not in any way trying to insult the moderators of airsoftforum.com; they are, after all, some of the best I’ve seen. I’m just trying to help reduce the drugged haze people see the moderators through. Keep up the great work, guys.

7.) Overuse of Smilies: Smilies cheapen your posts. The more smilies you have, the lower the grade level of your post looks. Don’t get me wrong, some of the smilies are definitely cool, and one or two are OK, but there are limits. First, you cheapen your post whenever you use more then one smiley per paragraph. The reason is simple: smilies are distracting. They are bright colorful objects stuck in the middle of an otherwise two-color post. Every time you come across a smiley you immediately lose your train of thought. After all, who can pay attention to a sentence when there’s a horse taking a dump at the end?

8.) Swearing: Why can’t you people figure it out? Swearing may be the biggest detractor from any argument you make. All it does is express anger at whatever the issue is. The thing is, we already understand you’re angry. That would be why you posted. Don’t believe me on this? Consider the following:

STFU YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW HOW TO TAKE A MECHBOX APART YOU STUPID PIECE OF ****!!!!!

As compared to:

Well, seeing as you’ve never even taken a mechbox apart, You really can’t give very good input.

You see? The top post is miserable. All it tells us is that the top person is probably a freak who believes no one should ever contradict him, while the bottom poster takes the stance of reason. The top poster also detracts from his stance by using all caps. (Not to mention STFU) On the Internet, this is seen as yelling. You don’t yell in conversations to your friends, and you never should here. You should never use all caps here, and you should never swear. (Or use five exclamation points; it’s the sign of a crazy person.)

(Note: There are a few cases where it is not read as yelling but rather as the author saying something forcefully. See number 2 for an example of this.)

As a final note, someone made all swearwords change into ridiculous smilies. This makes angry swearing posts comical. Which means if you try to post one, everyone will be laughing at you.

9.) Read everything: This one happens all the time. Why don’t you read the whole thread before adding to it? Do you want to look like a moron? There are so many people on this forum who just post onto the end of thing without actually reading the argument. These people don’t even realize that the majority of the time their same opinion has already been stated, or that the thread has evolved into a deeper discussion then it was in the beginning.

There are two great reasons for reading from the beginning. One, it will prevent you from posting something irrelevant or already proved, and two, you can pull from what other people have posted to strengthen your opinion. Someone who quotes someone else can effectively double his or her argument. If you can pull from multiple sources, (try not to do more then four) you could win the argument right then and there.

But really, I’m just sick of reading your irrelevant or redundant posts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m not dead yet, and I’m finally back with part two. Why was I gone so long? I don’t need to explain myself to you people.
First posts are from other people that I have revised or re-written: (Original Author in parentheses)

10. Proper Thread Names: (Posted by Garth and re-written by me.) So, you have a question. It’s a good question, one that may spark debate and open peoples eyes to a certain guns value/the best way to fix a gearbox/how bad peoples grammar is. So you log on, write the post, and then submit it. Nothing happens. Why? Your title. You wanted to grab peoples attention, you wanted to let the word out, but no one’s going to read something entitled “Gun Post”, “How to”, or “Online people.” And why should we?

People concentrate on posts that grab them and seem important. You should name it something that clearly states the threads’ purpose, something that describes your post. I should have a clear idea of what your question is before the post finishes loading. Name your gun value thread as “Great MP5 deal.” Your gearbox thread as “The best way to fix a gearbox.” And your grammar thread as “A Guide To Posting Well (subtitle: Or: How Not to Post Like a Moron.)”

Your title is the first thing people see for your post. It should be the most clever, attractive, interesting part.

11. Resurrecting the Dead (Reviving dead posts): (Posted by Leon Kennedy and re-written by me.)
The first thing you must realize is that whenever someone posts on a topic, it immediately moves to the front of the line. No matter how old it is, it will immediately be, as the forum goers say, “resurrected.” This term makes perfect sense. When you post on a thread that has been inactive for a sufficiently long time, or at least long enough so no one remembers it, you have literally brought it back from the dead. I’m sure all of us here have seen our fair share of zombie movies, as well as the solution for the dead rising. Shotgun blast to the face. Except if you revive a thread, we shoot you, not it. No exceptions.

Many people ask how long a post must be neglected before it is considered dead. My answer is five days. After five days, you are looking at a topic scooting to the edge of page four. No one reads that far back into the archived posts. (Most don’t even make it to page two.) This is a general rule for the General Airsoft Discussion section, (Which is in turn the forum subsection you are currently viewing.) of course; other sections may be different. A good rule is to see how far back the topics are on the third or fourth day. If you’re still in doubt, go with five days.

(Note: Many people believe it is okay to post in a dead thread if you have something good to add. This is incorrect. If the thread is dead, just start a new one with all relevant information. It’s easier on everyone.)

12. Name Your Gun!: (Posted by BattlePriest and edited by me.) When asking any question or making any statement about any specific airsoft replica, give as much identifying information as possible, starting with:

A.) The product Manufacturer: Meaning the company that actually manufactured the REPLICA, not the company that makes the gun the replica is modeled after. (Marui, Classic Army, etc.)

B.) The name by which the manufacturer identifies the replica, which may or may not include the name of the gun the replica is modeled after.

C.) The TYPE of airsoft replica, meaning one of the following: Classic Gas Gun, AEG, GBB, AEP, Bolt Action Spring Sniper Rifle, Bolt Action Gas Sniper Rifle, NBB, LPEG, Springer Pistol, Springer Rifle, EBB...and/or any other designation that may arise in the future. (You can usually find this in the guns name, SIG-552 AEG for example.)

D.) Custom Airsmith Name: For those pre-customized models out there, mention the name of the business or person who customized the gun. (I.E. Shibuya, Clarence Lai, Redwolf Custom, UN Custom, etc. If your gun is not customized, do not include this.)

Never ask a question just using the real name of the gun your Airsoft gun is modeled after! We will not know what you’re talking about, there are many hundred guns that go under various names, which may be different from the real steel version. Even the same gun may have a different name if it is under a different manufacturer. Remember that a MARUI AK-47 is not the same as an UTG AK-47 Warhawk. They just look it.

13.) Use a Reasonable Signature: Honestly, people. Your signature is not your public showcase, you don’t need to cram it with a huge photoshopped image of yourself/your guns/your mom. Your signature is just that: a signature. It’s for any sign off statements you may have, (E.G. Good night… and good luck) and for any important topics you want people to view. It is not where you post a huge, oh so funny picture you found scrolling through ebaums world!

This is not to say that you shouldn’t put pictures, your armory, or your website in your signature. On the contrary, this is an excellent way to personalize your post and make sure people remember you. If your signature is getting longer then the average length of one of your posts, however, that may be a problem. Not only does it highlight that you have very little to actually say, but it is also an excellent distracter. It’s longer then your post, so it draws our attention. Not to mention that you have devalued the whole thread by basically making a post that consists of your signature.

As a final note, no matter how long your posts are, your signature should not extend much further than 7 lines. That’s about this long:
START
>
>
>
>
>
FINISH
After that length, it starts becoming a nuisance.

14. Posting Tone: This is a big problem amongst the newbies here; most of the older posters have just posted so much that they don’t even think about it anymore. When you make a post on this forum, people cannot see if you are sarcastic, joking, laughing, crying, or anything else. All we see are the blank, emotionless words you have put down. When you write a post, you must consider how other people will read it. I’ve lost count of the times people have responded to a post with, “Jeez, you don’t have to be so mad about it.”

After you finish typing your post, take a second to clear your mind and review it with a blank mind. See it as someone who doesn’t know what you’re thinking. If your post seems angrier, more sarcastic, or meaner then you intended, then tone it down. Just be aware that every post conveys with it emotions, and that you need to adjust accordingly.

Along with this, never make fun of someone or their posts. You just come across as a jackass who goes online to argue with strangers.

15. Using the Search: I don’t know why people don’t use the search, because it is such an excellent way to solve your problems. Whenever you get a question you think might be common, (E.G. “Why does everyone want to be a sniper?” “Is this ______ gun good?”) simply use the search. Not hard, just type what you want.

I do realize that not all of you know how to best utilize the search feature, so here’s a crash course. Unless you are searching for something very specific, leave all the options alone except for the keywords bar. The keywords bar is where you insert what you are looking for. You should NOT put your question into the bar. The search engine looks for exactly what it says: keywords. You must generalize if you want to find good results. (“(insert gun name) review”)

In addition, the search engine looks for EVERY WORD you type in. This means if you search for, “a G36 gun review” It will give you back EVERY thread that has the word gun, EVERY thread that has the word “a”, etc. Minimize you query and put in only the words you’re looking for. Remember, you don’t have to make a coherent sentence, just get your keywords.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And… part three. And it’s about time too. What was I doing all this time? It’s a mystery, all I can tell you is that it involved a lot of airsoft. Well, without further ado:

16.) Say Everything You Mean to Say: People are nitpicky. If you’re vague or you don’t include something, then you can bet that someone will bring it up. You must make sure to provide all relevant information and evidence in your post. I’ve lost count of the times people have asked for help and not included vital information, if any at all. That’s just lame. We’re taking time to help you, have the decency to let us know exactly what you need. You get nothing but irritated questions otherwise.

17.) It’s All About Respect: Read it: respect. You respect us, and we’ll respect you. I hate it when anyone on this forum tries to make themselves bigger then they are. As far as I’m concerned, you are what you post. No one here can see you; no one here knows exactly what you’re like. You’re just another poster. And who you are on this forum is defined by what you post. Post excellently and we will judge you as excellent. Post poorly and we will not pay you any more heed than you deserve.

So many times people lie in airsoft to make themselves seem better. Why? No one on this forum will love you or hate you based on experience level. Even newbs are welcomed and respected, at least if they follow some of the above rules. I am much more likely to listen to a polite and respectful newbie, even if it is on such advanced articles as tactics and gun repair, than I am to a snotty “veteran” who is only good because that’s what he tells people. Respect me, respect yourself, and do not lie on these forums. The only results are bad for you.

18.) You are Your Own Ambassador: What is this place? That’s right, a FORUM. This means you should not talk like you do drunk at a party, you should maintain some dignity and level-headedness. You are your own ambassador to the forums, you are the one who must present and defend your own ideas against those of the other ambassadors. You should act as this, (see #17, Respect) and you should always keep in mind that what you say here is permanent and cannot be undone. Do not lie, do not cheat people. Those who gain a reputation for honesty and integrity are the ones who everyone else looks up to. You are your own ambassador. Don’t screw up your relations with the other delegates.

19.) Effective Criticism is Key: (Originally posted by Captain Wright and rewritten by me.) This is vital. These forums are a source of constant debate, and it is important to know how to effectively criticize someone without also personally attacking them or anyone else.

For example, never bash anyone’s gun. If they bought it, then it is a good gun to them. Saying, “You should have got an AEG. Pft. newbie.” Is not informative, but it is insulting. If your going to bash someone’s gun, you had better have evidence to back up your claim, and it better not be “There are better guns out there.” After all, I could say, “AEG? Pft. newbie. You should have saved for a Vulcan.”

This doesn’t just go for guns. Keep in mind that everything you post here is YOUR opinion, not an absolute. To post in absolutes is to be arrogant and insulting. Present yourself accordingly.

20.) The Ultimate Key to Being the Greatest Poster the Forum Has Ever Seen in All Time:

Be helpful. Be nice. Think out your posts, not just the facts, but how you say them. Type legibly and preferably following the rules of the English language.

That’s it. I should have just written that and forgotten the rest of the guide, eh?

“I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.”
-Abraham Lincoln

Good luck.

-Sir Biscuit

"The Power-Tie Samurai"
"The Demolition Man"
Click here to check out my ver.2 prototype Noob-Tube Info-mercial
I am currently accepting applications for ammunition mules. If interested please resppond via PM. Thank you.

Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:06 pm
Profile WWW
Gambler 1, Actual.
Gambler 1, Actual.

Your Steam User ID: kage_nana
psn_id: ROTARY_GOD
Post Re: A Guide to posting well : Written by Sir Biscuit
SWEET JUSUS!!!
I'll be honest A D D kicked in like halfway through it so I'll have to come back and finish later.

The Barrett 50 cal ... because people have a strange tendency to get behind things when you start shooting at them.

" John is the only guy I know who would sexually assault a P90"

Check out sports only auction for airsoft stuff.
http://www.sportsonlyauction.com

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:07 am
Profile WWW
Colonel
Colonel

Good work Lurch! That is best Guide ever. :o

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:56 am
Warrant Officer 3
Warrant Officer 3

Good job Lurch, but I think I'm going to have to agree with John. SWEET JESUS!!! :shock:

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:41 pm
Colonel
Colonel

You'll have to forgive the long winded posts.

"The internet is vast and infinite. All the information we collectively learn from it, and each other, is merely a drop in the bucket."

"The Power-Tie Samurai"
"The Demolition Man"
Click here to check out my ver.2 prototype Noob-Tube Info-mercial
I am currently accepting applications for ammunition mules. If interested please resppond via PM. Thank you.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Hurricane face puncher
Hurricane face puncher

XBL Gamertag: marked318
Your Steam User ID: marked318
Definitely... comprehensive. There's not much it didn't cover- and for the truth of the matter, I don't recall anything that wasn't addressed. Good work!

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:03 pm
Profile YIM
Absolute Post Whore
Absolute Post Whore

XBL Gamertag: Sparks91188
Your Steam User ID: Sparks91188
I too agree with sam and john about that

15 years playin, 10 techin, &7 guns
ImageImageImageImage
Did I mention I am powered by rotors...

Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Colonel
Colonel

If it needs to be said, then say it.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:05 pm
Super General of Pwnage

Well, it IS comprehensive. But apparently, it's too long because by looking at the board, no one has read this. People are doing alot of the things listed here...

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:42 pm
Hurricane face puncher
Hurricane face puncher

XBL Gamertag: marked318
Your Steam User ID: marked318
Eh, I don't think we really have a problem with these things. Most of the time anyone does something against this guide, it's in a thread that wasn't made to be taken as seriously as, say, the reviews.

By the way, you're not exactly exempt either, man. "Alot"? Come on, you can do better :P

NOOOO! Don't ban me! I'll change my ways! I mean it!

Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:49 pm
Profile YIM
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]