6mmwarfare.com - View topic - Horror video games
Last Shout - Posted by: Shadow - Sunday, 28 September 2014 19:24
StF8 done and gone. What a successful comeback of a legendary (crappy) OP. Thanks to everyone that came and helped make this one of the best.

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Horror video games 
Gambler2, till it goes *Click*

Your Steam User ID: refuge9
Post Horror video games
As anyone who has every looked at my steam list, I am something of a (video) gamer. I do love video games, and it's the thing that got me into computers back in the day. And though I love me many different types of genres, there is one that sticks out from time to time that is rarely done well, but when it is: it's amazing. That is the 'horror' genre of video games. Rarely do I see a 'horror' movie that actually scares me. Usually they are just gore-fests or campy trope films(Which are fun, but not scary). Video games, however, have been occassionaly pushing the envelope of terror the past few years. What are some of your favorite horror games? Here is a list of mine:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
This game is amazing. With a 'sanity' meter, and no weapons, your only recourse is to run and hide. The problem here is twofold. You hide better in the darkness, but staying in the darkness lowers your sanity meter, but standing in the light might raise your sanity, it will also attrack the monsters after you. If you sanity drops below a certain level, you will be besieged by terror, blackouts, and dizziness. Not a good combination when running for your life from monsters. Who, BTW, the very sight of will cause your sanity to drop as well. If you like being scared, this is a great game for you. And for the extra fear factor: Play it in the dark, with surround sound headphones on.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
Another game done with a 'Sanity Meter' effect. This one does have weapons, but also features a form of 'time travel' and a Lovecraftian style feel to it with 'Elder Gods'. The fun part of this game is in the 'Sanity Meter' dropping below it's allowed threshold, which will play tricks on the player, not the character. Sometimes, when you enter a room in the game, your character will be turned into a zombie, or the controls will be reversed, or you will need to swap the controller to a new port. Or perhaps you will see a 'Game to be continued in the sequel', etc. This game can be creepy, and was only found on the Nintendo Gamecube, however, it is often considered not only one of the best games of it's genre, or the console itself, but also one of the best games ever made. It's truly creepy, and the story is engaging. Well worth a trip to Gamestop and digging out the ol' NGC.

Alan Wake
This is my recent find. This game is surprisingly good. It's not as dark, and terrifying as the first two entries, but it does have it's moments, and makes up for it in a very good story narrative. As well as a decent gameplay mechanic, where you have to wear down an enemy with light, basically draining an armor of darkness that defeats even bullets, before you can attack them, and a surprisingly good soundtrack, complete with creepy ambiance, and 70's style metal with a norse bent, complete with a power ballad that is integral to the plot of the game. This is another game with a lovecraftian bent. I'm not a huge lovecraft fan, but he does do 'creepy' very well. I expected the gameplay to be very menial, and tiresome, but turned out surprisingly well, and they do a decent job of keeping everything balanced between chapters (called episodes, and done up like a TV series, complete with 'last time on' end caps.

Dead Space
Another good 'creepy' game. This one with 3 whole installments already in the series. The 'necromorph' enemies in this game are butral, terrifying, and hard to kill. The game also makes killing them more interesting by reversing the usual 'headshots kill best' ideas, by changing it to 'you must shred limbs as much as possible, since the necropmorphs have a distributed nervous system'. This means you will likely have to shoot many times to kill something, and they will quickly gang up on you. The entire plot revolves around never knowing what terrible horror will jump out around a corner, and the enemies just get harder to kill. This game was a strange departure from EAs normal way of doing things, and was pretty much a win for them.

Doom
I am of course talking about the first Doom, or Doom II. These are the games that won the first 'Brown Shorts' awards from me. I can still remember playing in the dark, and turning a corner in an unlighted corridor only to come face to face with the demon I had been listening to snort for the past five minutes. Doom was probably the first game that did ambience right in a terror setting. Sometimes it was run-and-gun, and sometimes it was creep your way around to not get noticed.

System Shock 2
Though I never got to play System Shock 1, I still own an original copy of System Shock 2. This game is all about a spaceship in the future with a rogue AI (from the first game) who is helping a cybernetically enhanced crewman try and stop a different rogue AI. Sadly, neither AI is actually on the side of the player, and SHODAN is probably one of the most quotable AIs ever. It's been years since I've played this game, but it's definitely still up there as one of the best FPS RPGs ever made. and SHODAN will keep you properly scared or enraged by buzzing in your ear constantly.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
a very immersive game, this one. I have always been fascinate by the tragedy of Chernobyl, and this game allows me to partake in some of the aftermath. It takes place after a second accident at the plant, and much of the exclusion zone is still irradiated, but now there are terrifying mutants running around the area. This game is made almost maddening by the fact it is a Open world style game (like Fallout, or the Elder Scrolls series), where you can literally wander anywhere, however, there are different factions of 'STALKERS' who are willing to either leave you be, recruit you, or destroy you, depending on your intent, or affiliation with the other groups. There are many areas where you can be in a underground, lightless area, and your flashlight runs out of juice, leaving you in the pitch black, with enemies everywhere. This game will leave you wanting to huddle in a corner, and really make you appreciate the areas of the map where you can be above ground in the light. It also makes you keep track of your inventory, not only for weapons and ammo, but also for making sure you have food, as you will get hungry and thirsty.

Metro 2033/Metro Last Light
Another Post-Apocalyptic game that takes place in Russia after a nuclear holocaust. Based off a series of books, this game can get very intense, and has a unique dynamic where pre-war ammo is the currency. however, it's also more powerful, and more accurate than the ammo you normally come across, which means you can either save it for upgrades to your kit, or kill things faster and more efficiently. There are times when this game can get a little monster spammy, but it's also got a great story, with several different factions you have to sneak or fight your way through, including cold war style communists, and Nazis, as well as the mutants who now live in the tunnels beneath Moscow as well. Well worth the money.

What games have made you curl under the covers, or give you pause to wonder if you needed to see a doctor for the new hearts murmurs you've developed?

"I want to live long enough to be there when they cut off your head, and put it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come at too high a price. I would look into your lifeless eyes, and wave." -Vir, Babylon 5

G&G UMG
ICS M4
A&K M60 MK43 MOD0 (x2)
MK23 SOCOM

Have a day.
Image Image
Image Image

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:55 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Colonel
Colonel

Post Re: Horror video games
Have to mention Silent Hill, I loved 1-3.

I've been playing DayZ recently and I've been shitting my pants while trying to sneak through towns crawling with zombies.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:33 pm
Gambler 3 High Speed Low Drag

psn_id: NavalWarFare
Those listed above are all great games; well said gents. I've played a lot of them and have had my fair share of jumps. I would like to add my own to the mix.

Slenderman: This is a pretty basic PC game that requires you to roam around with nothing but a flashlight searching for notes hidden throughout the open world. It is a dark and hot damn is it pretty scary at times; the entire point of the game is to grab all of the clues/notes without being caught by slenderman. For those who do not know who he is...google is your friend and there is plenty about him. For being a budget title it's damn good!

FEAR: The series has gone downhill in my opinion but the original FEAR really did scare the bejesus out of me at times. You go through this FPS world blasting baddies in slow mo slinging gore left and right. All of a sudden she appears and you find yourself powerless against her... The girl; also known as Alma is creepy as all hell and she will appear when you least expect it. She can control everything and everyone around you and there is nothing you can do to stop her. I highly recommend playing the first installment. It's definitely dated in the graphics department but the scares keep you playing.

SH2: This was for me the best in the series and still gives me creeps to this day. I loved the first SH movie as it followed the SH2 game fairly well as far as enemies and scenery goes. If you play any of the Silent Hill games, this is the one to play!

Fatal Frame: This is a little known title that was a cult success on the PS2. I picked up the second installment in the trilogy without knowing what I was getting myself into. These games are deeply based/rooted in Japanese folklore and ghost tales so there is some truth to what you're doing and let me tell you this is easily one of the scariest games I've played. With nothing but a camera at your disposal (HA!) you have to fight and ward off ghosts that seem to literally come out of nowhere and attack you. However the direct ghost contact isn't even the scariest part. Indirect contacts and residual ghosts that appear and then disappear behind a corner are some of the freakiest things I have encountered in my gaming life. Knowing that you have to go where that ghost just walked and not know where it went is a very spine tingling feeling but I love it nonetheless. Fatal Frame is by far my favorite horror series.

Condemned: The original Condemned was a fantastic game that didn't get much mainstream attention and unfortunately original copies are becoming hard to find. You play an inner city cop who is looking for a serial killer but in the meantime you are fighting your way through the underbelly of a dark city that holds plenty of creepy maps and enemies. A lot of the enemies you encounter are human but then there is a lot of things you encounter that are simply not able to be explained...such as
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
I wish this game got more attention but alas...it was buried under AAA titles pretty quickly and arrived in the early days of the 360.

I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, for I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I for sake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless, I am always there. Now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY. FOLLOW ME!

Fortuna favet audax.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 pm
Colonel
Colonel

If you're going to bring up Slender, then you need to try SCP: Containment Breach. It's fucking intense.
http://www.scpcbgame.com/

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:32 pm

I've not played any of the silent Hill games, but I have watched them be played.

I've read parts of the SCP website, and enjoyed what I've read, knew of the game but never played it.

From what I hear, Outlast is so beyond creepy/scary. like, heart attack scary.

And here is some gameplay footage

This game looks to be an utter laxative.

"I want to live long enough to be there when they cut off your head, and put it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come at too high a price. I would look into your lifeless eyes, and wave." -Vir, Babylon 5

G&G UMG
ICS M4
A&K M60 MK43 MOD0 (x2)
MK23 SOCOM

Have a day.
Image Image
Image Image

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:07 am
Profile ICQ WWW

First off...love the commentary! Thats exactly the kind of talk I would be saying if I was getting constantly scared lol. Second; that game looks downright creepy as well. I'm telling you guys a lot of the really great horror games are ones released by small studio independent developers such as the two that you all posted. I have to admit refuge yours looks more on the demented side of things although to be fair both look creepily stunning. Keep em comin! I enjoy this thread.

I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, for I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I for sake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless, I am always there. Now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY. FOLLOW ME!

Fortuna favet audax.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Both 'Outlast', and 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' are from indie companies. I am looking forward to Amnesia's sequel 'Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs', which has been done by a different indie company called 'The Chinese Room'. I've found several lists of scary games, but I decided to focus on games I specifically have played. I've played other 'horror' games, but they seem more hero vs baddies than actual horror games. The origianl 'Half Life' was also a great atmospheric scare. First, a scientific experiment that you were at the very center of, goes horribly awry, and rips a hole to another world, which allows for all sorts of extra-terrestrial fauna to cross over, including zombifying parasites. This games was great, because they spent a lot of time terrifying you, until you get to the point where the US governement sends in reinforcements to to area, only to find out that they are there only to 'close loose ends', and will kill you and all your friends/co-workers. So now you are fighting against both freaky animals AND your own government. The later games, though fantastic, are less about the 'scary!' factor than the first game is (With the exception of the 'Ravenholm' chapter, which goes back to 'craaaaaaaap'. ).

There are a lot of games out there that have the occassional 'ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap' situations that make you heart race....

But there are so very few games that have those *whimper* moments. The ones where, all you want to do is rock yourself to sleep in a corner, but you fear that if you do, something will come and eat you.

I always wanted to play the 'Fatal Frame' games, but I never had the money to pick them up when they were out.

G&G UMG
ICS M4
A&K M60 MK43 MOD0 (x2)
MK23 SOCOM

Have a day.
Image Image
Image Image

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:19 pm
Profile ICQ WWW

A copy of Fatal Frame these days will generally run you at least $40. I'm sure price has gone up since I last saw a copy at retail. I've definitely played plenty of OH SHIT OH SHIT games but I was trying to focus more on games that have at least sent tingles down my spine. The Last of Us was a great OH SHIT game and on top of that the game itself was so incredible. It definitely upped the ante for a lot of future releases as far as AAA titles go.
RE4 had a few tense moments but I never really felt scared except for when I would hear that chainsaw rev up...

Fallout can definitely get scary at times. I specifically recall Fallout 3 in the Dunwich Building (sp?) it is dark as all can be and is said to be haunted (which you do come across spirits throughout exploring the inside). Not to mention those damn ghouls would make horrid noises and come out of nowhere and were so damn fast you couldn't see them until it was too late...l! :o
whew...got carried away; sorry.

Fortuna favet audax.

Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Okay, so after having played a couple hours of Outlast... I must say: I am terrified. This game is creepy/scary as balls (Which are apparently also a literal thing in this game).

I quit for the night when they shut off the generator, and told me to take my terrified ass down to the basement to restart it...

nopenopenopenopenope.

G&G UMG
ICS M4
A&K M60 MK43 MOD0 (x2)
MK23 SOCOM

Have a day.
Image Image
Image Image

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:09 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
PUMA STANCE!!!

Thank you for mentioning slenderman.

I'm not an avid horror gamer, but this topic seemed interesting, so I googled it.

And now I'm fucking seeing him everywhere.

Fuck you Ranger, Fuck you.

Proelium Comminus Auctoritate

Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Once you learn of slenderman you start seeing him everywhere. Crazy how much of a youtube sensation he is...

Fortuna favet audax.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 pm

Slenderman: Opensource horror. :P

G&G UMG
ICS M4
A&K M60 MK43 MOD0 (x2)
MK23 SOCOM

Have a day.
Image Image
Image Image

Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:53 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]